1 small head cauliflower, cut into small florets (should yield 3 cups of cauliflower rice)
3 tablespoons almond flour (or flax meal)
1 tablespoon coconut flour
2 eggs at room temperature
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
¼ teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of ground black pepper
Poppy seeds, sesame seeds, minced garlic or minced onion for topping
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C) and place a rack in the middle.
- In a food processor rice the cauliflower florets (it should be evenly chopped but not completely pulverized).
- In a large bowl combine 3 cups of cauliflower rice, eggs, almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Refrigerate the cauliflower mixture for 5 minutes - this will allow the almond flour and coconut flour to soak up some of the moisture.
- Take out the fridge and give it another good stir.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly grease with olive oil.
- Using your hands form 4 even sized buns (squeezing the mixture so it holds together) and lay onto the lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle toppings and lightly press them into the top. With the handle of a spoon/fork/knife the making a big hole in the middle of each bun.
- Bake in the oven for about 16 to 18 minutes, or until it reaches a bread-like consistency.
- Turn on the broiler on high, and broil for further 2 to 3 minutes until the top is golden.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely on a rack before peeling them off the parchment paper.